Moneyless Investments, Awesome Returns (The power of a Favour)


Moneyless Investments, Awesome Returns
(The power of a Favour) 


It took me quite a while before I fully understood my grand-dad's words when he advised - no summoned - me to live like an orphan. I remember challenging him mentally as I failed to grasp the how and the why of such a thing as living as though you have no one. It was only until I listened to Mrs. Penelope S. Bartels-Sam on her talk to a group of (aspiring) entrepreneurs about how to obtain assistance from someone. The answer is simple: by providing "uninterested" assistance, a cashless currency.

Exercise: take a trip in your phone contacts, detach yourself from any emotional affiliations and contacts' integrity level. Count how many of those in there, including family and close friends, you can ask a favour from and you know they will genuinely endeavour to assist you? It is important to be honest here. Now compare that number to the number of contacts you have helped in the past be it by simply paying for their transport fare or buying a beer. Is there any correlation? I do not expect the numbers to be matching perfectly but I want to bet the disparity is not more than 5%.

This is where I knew what my old mentor was talking about: he only meant me to be the first to provide assistance promptly so as to be the one people "owe" to, the master moral obligee. Hmmm... had i listened to him... Indeed a favour is easily earned after giving out some of your time in the first place. Allow me to include ingrate people because nature always find a way to make them pay up sooner or later.

I can't help but remember my very beginnings, in a public office in Accra. There was a lady holding a crying and fighting baby (probably a future WWE champion) as she was trying to fill in a form. I offered to carry the stubborn child to ease her task (also for her to finish fast so that i can finally fill my form as well lol). The Result of the ensuing chat is priceless as I still enjoy it: I landed an industrial internship in her company, got paid at the end of the month although the mentorship programme was a mere academic requirement. 

All it cost me was some mild scratches on my cheek, some FREE mild scratches (from the baby).


Get Involved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choisir entre SWOT et PESTL : l’analyse

Fonction Marketing vs Fonction commerciale